SeeSaw provides grief support for children, young people and their families in Oxfordshire. Through appropriate and timely support, SeeSaw can help to reduce the emotional, psychological and mental health consequences of bereavement. Young people are then able to face the future with hope.
It can be difficult to know what to say to a child when someone has died. Here are some guidelines to help you to talk to your child.
- Telephone consultations to any parent or professional who is concerned about a bereaved child.
- Home visits to families to assess their needs and talk about ways in which SeeSaw might be able to help.
- Tailored individual support for children and young people when needed. This often involves one-to-one sessions with a support worker and takes place where the child is most comfortable – in their own home.
- Specialist support to families and professionals when a parent or sibling is dying.
- Family events and activity days which enable children, young people and their families to meet together in a fun and relaxed way.
- Information and training to school staff when they are supporting a bereaved child in the classroom or managing a death in the school community.
- Training, consultancy and resources to professionals working with bereaved children and young people.
About our service
- We provide a rapid response to requests for advice and support.
- We provide support when needed – no waiting list.
- There is no charge for our services.
- We support families after any cause of death – whether it is sudden or expected, or due to illness or accident.
- We support families when a parent has been diagnosed with a terminal illness
- We also support families following bereavement through suicide, murder or manslaughter.
- Our most recent publication is 'What happens when someone dies? – a guide for adults talking with children about funerals.This is available through SeeSaw.
If you are worried about a bereaved child in your care then please call the friendly SeeSaw team for help, advice and guidance on 01865 744768 or email SeeSaw